Dear ATPO Members and Guests, This is going to be another fantastic year! A special thanks goes out to our Immediate Past President, Sergina Flaherty, COMT, OSC for the exceptional work she has accomplished this past year in collaboration with the ATPO Board of Directors and Staff, various committees, and other amazing volunteers. Her leadership skills have really boosted ATPO membership with an increased sense of excitement and willingness to participate. I am excited about the opportunity to serve as your next ATPO President. Capitalizing on the momentum we have recently attained, our plan is to carry forward important initiatives and strengthen ATPO by creating new and exciting opportunities for our members.
This year ATPO will focus on recruitment, training, certification, and education:
- Identify and recruit new technicians into the field of ophthalmology. Our Ambassador Program and our Career Development Task Force are pooling resources to build awareness of careers in ophthalmology. Watch the new video developed by ATPO and IJCAHPO that introduces the ophthalmic assisting career and highlights the benefits and rewards of working as part of the ophthalmic health care team.
- Recruit ophthalmic medical technicians and staff to become members of ATPO. ATPO provides quality education and offers many professional development opportunities. Invite your friends and colleagues to become a member of ATPO! Review Member Benefits.
- Recruit current ATPO members to volunteer within ATPO. The success of ATPO is due to the commitment of its members. ATPO presents many opportunities for you to show your dedication to your profession by sharing your time and expertise through volunteer efforts. Contact ATPO if you are interested in volunteering!
- Build critical skills to become effective trainers in ophthalmic clinics. ATPO's "Train the Trainer" course is intended for current and future trainers to increase their confidence and effectiveness in training their own staff.
- Develop training videos, webinars, and books on ophthalmic training. These helpful guides will benefit every clinic!
- Provide COA, COT, COMT, ROUB, and OSC Exam Review Sessions in LIVE and Webinar formats. ATPO tracks exam content changes to provide the best preparation for all of these certification exams.
- Offer practical study materials such as the COA, COT, and COMT Flashcards. ATPO provides updated material to match new exam content. ATPO’s COA Flash Card App will be released soon!
- Create educational programs that engage and inspire all! ATPO’s Scientific Sessions and Grand Rounds are hosted in collaboration with IJCAHPO’s Annual Continuing Education (ACE) Meeting and the AAO’s Annual Meeting. The Fellow Lecturer, Keynote Speaker, and fabulous presenters help you to earn IJCAHPO Credits, but more importantly allow members to come together, learn, and relay that new knowledge, skills, and ideas back to their offices.
- Schedule more regional meetings and review sessions. ATPO hosts regional CE meetings that offer the same great learning environment, but are closer to home!
- Offer new CE courses for ATPO members. The Education Committee is working to bring new CE courses to ATPO members. Members receive up to 5 free CE credits per year, by completing online courses.
As President and on behalf of the entire Board of Directors, I encourage you to dedicate time for professional growth and development by becoming a member or taking advantage of your ATPO membership. Attend ATPO CE Meetings and Webinars, volunteer at an ATPO meeting or on an ATPO Committee. Please contact ATPO to share your concerns, ideas, or simply answer any questions you may have. We are here to serve you and to help you achieve your professional goals.
Jessica Barr, COMT, ROUB